Tuesday, November 07, 2006

It was a long drive








but it was worth it and had a great time with my whanau. Am used to working at the marae, done it most of my life but was better at it (aye sister) when I was younger. More of a take the meeting minute, be on the committee kinda whanau memeber now, but being out in the sticks is different. You cater for lord knows how many, we were expecting 100 there was 200. kithcen is no bigger than a kitchen you would find in a three bedroom house and about 20 people in there dishes preparing meals cooking meals carving meat, but all ammenties like a shop for extra kai are miles away.Also the dedicated man hours are insane at the marae. And its all volunteer and the meals look like they are fit for a king and its all done with love, laughter and sweat. Its awesome.
The drive was 5 hours and the coastal roads were stunning, so was stoked to get some photos. what I loved mainly though were the little hick towns with building of character and colour. I'm talking green building with purple trims and orange doors that looks terribly disgusting usually but in places where people are scarce they liven the area and that doesnt even include the beach itself.
Wondering who they stunning women is, well thats my baby sister and happy birthday sis and yip this is you and it looks 20 times better in the frames your getting for your birthday so happy birthday Hiria, you are the best sister and I'm stoked that God gave us each other and our brother (ps that the guy in the photo with my girl on the wharf and outside the hotel at waihau bay)... yip they are both spunkier in real life its disgusting...




8 comments:

Hannah said...

Those photos are stunning, Michelle!! I'm in absolute awe of your talent!!

Anonymous said...

I second that Michelle. You are very talented!!! I can see that your business is going to take off. They are awesome shots!!

Mands Haynes said...

You're rockin it Michelle, these are stunning. Love the first shot, great exposure, capture...just beautiful!

Penny said...

Great photo journalistic style Michelle :)
Glad the trip went off okay. Betcha glad to be home eh?

Anonymous said...

Hi there

I found your blog link on Traceys site - so glad I did! I just wanted to say that your photography is totally stunning - so candid and raw without any 'fluffy' stuff. If you are ever in Auckland, let me know - you can do some photography for me!

Mel said...

Awesome photos (as usual!) and I can totally relate to your comments about marae catering. My sister's hubbie is Maori (and Chinese!) and his Dad died recently. The food the amazing whanau got out for 5 days was nothing short of a miracle. My BIL is an Exec Chef and usually oversees big functions at the marae but since it was his Dad's tangi he was banned from the kitchen. Over 500 people for the actual burial day. We helped a bit. I couldn't believe how many people pitched in. A real sense of community that we were swept in to. Awesome experience.

Rach H said...

OMG Michelle your work is just stunning. Lucky for those that live close by to have the opportunity to have photos done by you. Very talented!!!

Tracey and Adrian said...

So awesome to finally meet you Michelle!! And that was such a cool weekend. Now back to reality. Hopefully photoshop can fix some on my blurry pics LOL!!
cya