Thursday, April 20, 2006

another class tomorrow and i have

just finished putting together the last bits of the packs. My friend Tina from Scrapbook Magik kindly order in the papers and made it look pretty, so all i needed to do was add the chipboard tags that I made (what a mission getting the holes thru), cut the ribbon up and choose two different paints as I have a girl and boy set... oophs forgot to mention its for an altered clipboard class with our holiday program which thankfully is only about 20 kids... otherwise I mighthave gone stark raving mad with more (thats is of course still a possibility). Thinking however that I may be a little ummmmm... whats the word I'm looking for.......... anal.... yip I'll go with that............... everytime I have a class I sketch out the layout of the room, what different 'posts' i need (ie paint, stamping) , a set of instructions and guides and a couple of games and prizes to go with it.... and it is delivered as what I could describe as an organised chaios (??? certainly no spelling bee winner) but hey thats my style and I enjoy doing that as well!!

Oh something to share..... one of the best memories I have being brought up by my nan is going to the library once a week. Got books galore as a kid, but from the little te puke town library I was allowed five books, of which one had to be a cook book ( so I would be a good wife! LOL) and one a junior novel to improve my comprehension skills. Ok fast forward........I'm a book worm no two ways about it.... so today since I'm spending money on scrapbooking now and not books I took my children to the library and we joined.... rewind... back in my day you had a paper library card with a number and your initials. Yah hand over the card it gets entered in the little library card pocket and the old date stamp went in with it. fast forward.... te puke library got rid of this years ago and removed all the little date slips and library pockets with it............present day... I'm in the te puke library and go to the corner where I hung out as a nine year old (some 21 years ago arrrghhhh) I spot one of my favourite books which I remember reading back in the day... hello open it up and low in behold theres the library card pocket with my name and initials on it and a date stamp of 26 June 1984..... how cool is that... so i go across to the librarian and ask if I can have the pocket, the card and the date slip then tell her why and she says, why thats lucky those where suppose to be destroyed years ago, of course you can my dear..... oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah (she does a little dance in her chair) and hello I find one other book and low and behold as if by fluke, chance, luck or whatever you call it I find another one with my name and number dated in 1983. I opened a couple of other ones not familiar to me and there were no cards, all removed and I tried a few more, yip all removed ... scary...LOL........so yip theres a page a brewing and a memory that held so dear to the heart that like a book it had gathered so much dust that it was almost forgotten, so I shall scrap and I shall cry , scrap and cry again and remember my grandmother with a quiet and sad ache that bring both a smile and a tear............ (and then go to the library and offer to buy those old versions of the books!!! LOL)

PS They were my favourite and you can tll becuase I had them issued to me every year, twice a year from 1983 to 1993, which was when I left Te Puke..... they were Heidi and Little Women :)

6 comments:

Penny said...

Your post made me smile Michelle :) you aren't the only one to mourn the loss of those old library pockets, cards and catalogue cards - I know of several authors who would secretly go into a library and check their books to see how many people had issued their book! LOL!
As a librarian I rejoice in the way technology has taken some of the tedious tasks out of our job: -try dealing with millions of little cards to locate overdue books or having to refile a dropped drawer of catalogue cards- but I sometimes miss the old card catalogue drawers. I I ever found some I'd use them for my scrapbooking storage. They would be great for fibres and ribbos for eg.

Michelle said...

Gees had forgot about those to, I use to love those catalogue drawers, walking up the aisle with it if it was loose, or running backwards and forwards to the drawer and shelf if it was still attached to the metal rod.... those would make for niffy scrapbook something:)

Anonymous said...

Love the library memories. Isn't that so cool? Our library still has sheets for signatures ... but no more pockets.

Yolande said...

WOW what a cool find. OHHHH and Heidi was a favourite of mine too... I can't believe you didn't get the books out to take home to scan the covers. Can't wait to see that layout! AWESOME....lucky you

Mel said...

That library book story is so cool. I adore books and after years of buying them have finally reconnected with the local libary. My kids love it too. You so have to scrap that story.

Kirsty said...

Ha! Was just thinking about library cards the other day when doing my layout on "R is for Reading". I was going to create a library card & pocket to do all the journalling on, but ended up doing something else cause I didn't want any hidden journalling & couldn't find any examples of old library cards quickly. Was on a mission to finish!!